Saturday, September 5, 2009

Mixed Media Collage - what"s going on?












So, can any of you tell me why these small little collages 8 X 10 and 10 X 10 have not been juried into 2 shows? One up in Kirkland at Parklane and one down here in Canon Beach - both were collage exhibitions. This makes a difference to me because I can't get a fix on what the reason is they are not getting in to shows. Is it because they are too small? Is it because they are not considered fine art? Is it because they are too bright? Is it because they are too detailed? Is it because they each have words, some of which could be construed as a message - titles are Work, Life Spice; Planet Asia, Peddling; Earth Revisited; Sculpture Gate; Raku, the Source? Is it because of quality? Also look at several of the collages in August blogs - these 2 were the latest not to get juried in.
So readers, what do you think? I've never not been juried in before in any exhibition that I've entered so I'm at a loss. These are paintings I've just started doing this year and are interesting to me because I can use lots of different techniques and is a way for me to express detail. Are these a dead end? Do I stop doing this kind of work altogether? Please, your comments are appreciated!



1 comment:

  1. I'm a new follower - mostly because I can so relate to your blog description (in the header) and because I love art and artists (duh, being one, I guess that is kinda natural..)

    But I decided to leave my first comment here - partly because you asked, and partly because I'm having similar (non) responses to my small collages and assemblages. They seem to confound most people. (?!) The ones that even my artist friends go for are way too literal for me.

    But I love yours - and were I the juror, they'd have a place of honor. Small works are like gems, and must be displayed perfectly. By "perfectly" I mean in a way that offers the viewer an intimate look (eye-level), and treats the pieces with importance. They should never be crowded too close to larger pieces. Often, they are not chosen for large shows because of this.

    ReplyDelete